AfricaAnthro06

2009 Study Abroad to New Zealand and Australia with ASU. 2007 Study Abroad trip to South Africa with Augusta State University.

Name:
Location: Augusta, Georgia

Sunday, July 09, 2006

On The Road Again

Well I'll start with this morning, when my alarm went off and my roommate, bless her heart, cheerily said "hi, Good morning." All I could do was manage a grunt, as usual. She hasn't seemed to noticed that I'm not a morning person and it takes all I have to stumble out of bed in the morning. I can't form words or have conversations that time of day. (We had a talk about that and she's not much of a monring person just friendlier than me in the a.m.). Our new hotel is rather cozy in terms of smaller space. I'm young, flexible and can deal with it better it seems than some (although I'd prefer more room) or perhaps it has to do with being an anthropologist working in Africa.

Today we left Abuja for Jos. I didn't really take notes about the day so now I'm trying to remember my impressions (see this is why taking fieldnotes is important!) I don't think i've talked about the "taxis". here you can get a car taxi or a bush taxi (the minivans like in Dancing Skeletons), but a lot of people ride motorcycles (w/o helmets) as a form of quick and cheap transportation. They weave in and out of traffic. They are mostly small motorcyles, maybe even mopeds, and definitely not Harleys!

We stopped for a bush break and someone fell and sprained an ankle. This created a bit of drama b/c we feared she'd broken something. She's resting and is a tough woman and should be fine. She also can add Nigerian ER to her list of experiences (not fun I can tell you). Otherwise I remain very impressed with Nigerian Roads. However, when we arrived in Jos i felt like i was truly in Africa. Jos is a very old city and clearly unplanned and the roads are not as good as the capital. It's interesting to watch my colleauges adjust to the situation and deal with the culture shock. It's easy to have culture shcok, even when you are prepared. My first to trip to Africa in '99 was overwhelming at times.

I'm about out of time at the cafe, but it is here in my hotel and quick and the mouse works so I hope to be able to report regularly.
Keep in touch! I apreciate hearing from people--it makes me feel better to know I'm not just talking to myself! ha.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you about culture shock. When I went with the tour group back in '78 to the Bible Lands, there was a LOT of that going on. Some people never adjusted AT ALL, which made the trip harder for them as well as for the rest of us who did adapt at least somewhat. For example, we spent Thanksgiving Day at the ...um...I can't remember its name, oh yeah, the InterContinental Hotel in Jerusalem. A big ole fancy place. :>) Well, some of the people in the group--who admittedly were in their senior years, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it--were actually loudly complaining because "they don't have turkey and dressing!" A few of us attempted to give them the "when in Rome" spiel, with rather mixed results. Surely your group is doing better in that area!

I remember that my biggest culture shock was being looked upon with disapproval because A) my hair was short and B) I wore jeans. I remember feeling that I wish I would have been able to take a crash course in how NOT to be an "ugly American" per se in Israel!!! It would have been greatly helpful. I know! Why don't you write one of those "Dummies" guides like that: "Traveling to Africa For Dummies"!! HEE HEE! That'd be perfect for you, I think.

And relative to your Cheeseburger in Paradise post: when we got back to the States, the first thing I ate was a big cheeseburger. With Coke, not Pepsi!

Bron

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is tough to be an "allergic to morning" person and be around/live with a "Morning is wonderful!" person, isn't it? Guess how I know! :>) Maybe your roommate was trying to cover the silence gap...Jim used to do that years ago. Then he realized it was pointless! Ha! Your roommate doesn't likely have a clue. It's good you ARE young so you can adapt better --as you say-- to all the conditions ranging from quirky to unpleasant to downright annoying. Still, I bet you'll have some really good tales to tell along those lines...

And I look forward to hearin' 'em!

love,
Bron

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. What exactly IS a "bush break"? Is that like it used to be when I was growing up and traveling all over West Texas--a walking break beside the road?

Sounds interesting, at any rate, but I am very sorry for your colleague and will keep her ankle's healing in my prayers--along with you of course.

Bron

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home